Friday, May 11, 2007

Miscellany (real post later tonight)

- Yes, I, too, totally freak out when seeing my real name on the Amazon Honor Box on someone else's blog. Do Not Panic - only you, when you are actually viewing the page, see the real name. For more info, click the bit that says "How do you know my name?" at the bottom of the box. Now start breathing again. Holler if you need CPR...

- Should I put an email link on this blog? On one hand, I've had a few people contact me and ask to email a comment that they want to share but not post publicly, and I've enjoyed some great conversations that way. On the other hand, will I be deluged with spam and hate mail?

- On another note, I joined the Top Five Group Writing Project for a lark, but now I'm genuinely enjoying looking at (gasp) blogs that don't talk about sex! At all! Not even a little bit! Like Gillette said, it's a window on a whole 'nother world.

- The world is especially beautiful today. My tulips are blooming, the sun is shining but not too hot, and Secret Scientist just called me to talk for a long time for no reason at all...

- I'm having a fun time with the labels function on here. Sometimes they are significant...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandy, I found this resource that will encrypt your email address so that it's encoded in your source code, but real users see the real address. It's supposed to trick spambots. I use it at work and so far so good, but I cannot guarantee that it's foolproof.

Lots of people just use tricks to disguise their email like so:
someone AT yahoo DOT com
someone@--REMOVE-THIS--yahoo.com

Good luck:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mandy -- I have my email address on my profile page, and have had very little spam (probably 5 or 6 messages over several months). I have had, I think, one unpleasant message, and several overly "familiar" messages requesting sex. On the other hand, I have had dozens and dozens of lovely messages from "fans"... and have become good friends with several of them.

If I ever ended up with too much spam, I would set it up the way that Ruby has described... I love people being able to contact me if they choose to.

Tom Paine said...

I concur: the warmth of my correspondents far outweighs the small annoyance of the spammers. Worse are the ones who are crusing Sugasm posts and going to old entries. I'm not sure why they think their methods work, since I immediately remove the spam, but they persist.