Thursday, April 26, 2007

Bits and Pieces

…Not to be snarky, but has anyone else felt that Belle de Jour, mother of us all, has lately become both annoyingly, pretentiously cryptic and just the wee-est bit, well, boring? As a fellow sex blogger, I worry about continuing to generate good stories...

Folk Rocker has gotten back in touch, announcing that he’s golfing in Retiree State with 12 other guys, he’d rather be home with a good book, and isn’t it my turn to send dirty pictures? We’ve exchanged already, the first time he’d ever taken a naked picture of himself, let alone sent one to anyone, and it’s both charming and frustrating to see him half-pictured in a mirror, his hand coyly on his uncut cock. I’m ok with sending him more, but I want something in return – perhaps his fantasies, written out. I’m enlisting Power Girl to click the shutter and will share some of the results with you, Gentle Readers…

…Here’s why I’m a female chauvinist pig: I meet yet more musicians and my first thought is, “fresh meat.” (My second is, “Hope they don’t suck or I’ll have to stop liking them.”) Here’s why I’m a racist: I immediately rank them as “too much receding hairline,” “hot but too young and probably taken,” “guy I can’t really remember,” and “hot black guy, bingo, you’re mine.”


("Titus Three" poster courtesy of Toxic Dreams)

2 comments:

Tom Paine said...

Minstrel culture, while repellent on one level, is also fascinating because white people became so fascinated with a ritualized, sanitized version of black life, speech and music. Like many aspects of American history, it is more complex and yes, troubling than the black & white simplifications of our history classes.

A racist? Hmmm, that's a bold, damning and brazen admission.

Mandy said...

The show that I borrowed the picture from looks really, really interesting - it's Titus Andronicus done by women in blackface...

I try very hard not to be a racist, which in itself makes me racist - I guess I'm "race-conscious" - I don't believe in disenfranchising people based on skin color, but I do have reflex racist reactions from growing up white and middle class (and in America). It's hard to know when one is being racist sometimes - I go back and forth between deliberately smiling at black people on the street to "show I'm not prejudiced," and telling myself, no, it's not racist to ignore the black youth complimenting my appearance on the street - it's rude for a man of any color to comment on a woman of any color, responding is not required and might be unsafe.