Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Mandy's Mailbag


I write:

B____,

Because your sig says "newbie", I'm answering a message I normally would delete without reading. I'm going to be a little harsh here because I think you will have a better time on this [hobbyist]board if you put slightly more thought into your communications.

I'm not interested in making friends with anyone who can't write a complete sentence. It pretty much specifically says that in the bottom of my profile/sig line. I don't know what kind of experience you are hoping to have, but do you really want to meet a lady who is so un-choosy that she is willing to meet up with a gentleman whose first message reads in its entirety:

“[city name]?"

Do you really want to share your gift, your time and your person with someone willing to just dive right in there with so little information?

You don't have to write a novel. But you might find it worthwhile to start off with something more along the lines of "Hey, I saw your profile/post/you-at-a-meet-n-greet and would love to chat more/meet you. I'm in [city name], are you near me?"

Good luck, happy hunting, and a friendly smile and hug your way -

[Whorename]

art by Nick Bantock

4 comments:

PJ said...

Do you really want to share your gift, your time and your person with someone willing to just dive right in there with so little information?

Given that he was looking on a whore website, I'd wager that the answer to that question is a resounding "Yes!"

In fact, I was under the impression that that was pretty much the point of the whole thing.

Chalcedony said...

-facepalm-

Anonymous said...

You're a whore Mandy. So, yeah, what PJ said.

Mandy said...

PJ - on one hand, yes, it is supposed to be a "no strings" experience. On the other hand, the whoreboards (as opposed to Craigslist and the corner) are pitching an experience where you are less likely to be ripped off, infected, or busted. So part of the process is just the wee-est bit of pretending to get to know each other.

If the guy can read, there are lots of ladies who promote in their profiles that they see newbies and they are available right this minute. My profile says I want to have an actual interaction with a human being.

I suppose I could have responded with:

References?